If you are not redirected automatically, follow the link to Mosaic I hail from a family of world travelers — Mosaic

I hail from a family of world travelers

Posted on October 24, 2016 at 4:05 pm

By Rachel Hobbs

contributorphoto

This time next year, I hope to be living in another country.

Of course, I will miss Nebraska—it’s been my home all my life—but I’m ready to try something new. Despite planning this move for the past three years, I am a little nervous about it. Moving to a new country is difficult. Even in this day and age, when transportation is quick and support is readily available. I’m sure my ancestors felt the same way when they immigrated here.

My father’s side was predominantly Irish: Edward Coffey was born in Ireland in 1670. He moved to the United States and married Ann Powell in 1699 in Essex County, Virginia. Their daughter married the son of an English immigrant. Over a century later, the family later moved to the Midwest.

In the early 1920s, my great-grandparents on my mother’s side moved from Friesland, a northwestern province in the Netherlands, and they settled in the Midwest. All four of my grandparents grew up in Chicago. They went to school and married there, then moved out of the city to raise their families.

The Osenga family—my mother’s side—moved to Anchorage, Alaska. My father’s side moved to Tarpon Springs, Florida. My parents met when my father moved to Alaska for two years while my grandparents worked.

When doing research for this project, I was surprised to see that I have family from all over the United States and ancestors from many different places. Although I am still a little uncertain about my upcoming move, I can see that I come from a long line of world-travelers.

Save

Community

Omaha plans for Syrians at preliminary stage

By Bailey Neel The tragedy and turmoil has been broadcast around the globe. Millions of Syrians have fled their country because civil war has created an uninhabitable place of violence and danger. More than a third of the population has abandoned the country in hopes of finding something better beyond the borders. Unfortunately for these […]

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

By Chasity Blair Where do I come from? Where did my family members come from? The answer: Scottish, English, Indian and Irish, according to my mom. Unfortunately, there are no records that prove this to be true. These vague unproven answers fuel more questions. I don’t know the names of my family members who immigrated […]

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

Arriving with a physics degree, he starts over

By Rhett Muller When Faris Pirali first started college at the University of Mosul in Iraq, he would have never guessed he would be starting completely over 13 years later in Lincoln, Nebraska. After graduating high school, Pirali began his college career in January 2003, majoring in physics. After one year he decided to leave […]

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Work

Pastor works to help diverse communities

By Jeff Renken Father Vitalis Anyanike speaks quietly sitting behind the cluttered desk in the small office at the Holy Name Church’s rectory. Diplomas on one wall face a photo of his former Nigerian home on the other. It’s warm for a November morning in Omaha, yet Vitalis wears a wool top coat. He emigrated […]

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Work

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Community

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Admin Login | 402-472-3034 | Contact Us | About Us | Site by Ebbeka Design

Our Partners