If you are not redirected automatically, follow the link to Mosaic Diana Elias: In her own words — Mosaic

Diana Elias: In her own words

Posted on October 31, 2015 at 3:44 pm

By Diana Elias

When I heard they called my name as a queen, I was so shocked. I didn’t believe I was going to been chosen because I have never been selected at my other schools where I came from. It was so delightful to me, because queen 2this means I have lots of friends at Lincoln High School who are helpful to me.

My peers and family were proud of me and shared my happiness. I was going to homecoming even though I did not expect to be chosen as LHS queen because it’s one of the most fun things in high school. It was the best moment in my life as addition to being a LHS Senior and graduating soon. The theme about a Tropical Paradise was great. All students danced appropriately and the music was impressive so everybody had good time. There were good songs were playing.

I really loved the homecoming dance, it was amazing. I became friends with more students during the dance. My favorite part was “Cha Cha Slide” when all students danced together with the music and at the same time. Even I thought dancing was awkward last year, but this time, I tried to dance as much as I could.

I did love walking in with the king and the attendants and being crowned in front of all the people. I am feeling so proud of myself by being the first Iraqi queen student at Lincoln High School, the first student who was the English Language Learner, and the first one in my family. Mr. Noble (keyboarding teacher) called me “Queen Diana” all the next week. My other ELL teacher, Mrs. Kreimer, gave me a huge hug, which was amazing. All my teachers, family, and friends were proud of me. This is going be a good memory from LHS. I feel like a success.

Community

Omaha plans for Syrians at preliminary stage

By Bailey Neel The tragedy and turmoil has been broadcast around the globe. Millions of Syrians have fled their country because civil war has created an uninhabitable place of violence and danger. More than a third of the population has abandoned the country in hopes of finding something better beyond the borders. Unfortunately for these […]

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

By Chasity Blair Where do I come from? Where did my family members come from? The answer: Scottish, English, Indian and Irish, according to my mom. Unfortunately, there are no records that prove this to be true. These vague unproven answers fuel more questions. I don’t know the names of my family members who immigrated […]

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

Arriving with a physics degree, he starts over

By Rhett Muller When Faris Pirali first started college at the University of Mosul in Iraq, he would have never guessed he would be starting completely over 13 years later in Lincoln, Nebraska. After graduating high school, Pirali began his college career in January 2003, majoring in physics. After one year he decided to leave […]

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Work

Pastor works to help diverse communities

By Jeff Renken Father Vitalis Anyanike speaks quietly sitting behind the cluttered desk in the small office at the Holy Name Church’s rectory. Diplomas on one wall face a photo of his former Nigerian home on the other. It’s warm for a November morning in Omaha, yet Vitalis wears a wool top coat. He emigrated […]

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Work

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Community

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Admin Login | 402-472-3034 | Contact Us | About Us | Site by Ebbeka Design

Our Partners