If you are not redirected automatically, follow the link to Mosaic MOSAIC Q&A: LEESA HOYT KRAEGER — Mosaic

MOSAIC Q&A: LEESA HOYT KRAEGER

Posted on February 22, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Leesa Kraeger in her classroom at Arnold Elementary School: "Funding is the biggest challenge. Long-term sustainability cannot be achieved with grants." / Photos by Cory Dozier

Leesa Kraeger assists refugee and immigrant families.

For the past two years Leesa Hoyt Kraeger has been a family literacy specialist in Arnold Elementary School’s Family Literacy Program. She can be reached at 402-436-1120 or at lkraege@lps.org.

How do you help refugees?

As family literacy specialist, I coordinate an integrated program that teaches English, provides information about Lincoln Public Schools and the community of Lincoln, and encourages families to become an integrated part of the school and surrounding neighborhood.  Primarily, I assist immigrant and refugee families with advocating for and acquiring what they need to be able to help their children set and achieve educational goals.  I also collaborate with the Arnold Community Learning Center site supervisor to provide programing and information that is available to all Arnold Elementary families.

What is the most common question you get from refugees? (And how do you answer it?) 

Most of the questions I get asked have to do with where to go to get information or services.  Sometimes I know, but frequently my answer starts with “I don’t know, but let’s ask …”

What is the most difficult part of your work? 

Funding is the biggest challenge. Long-term sustainability cannot be achieved with grants.

What does the wider community of Lincoln need to know about refugees? 

I think people simply need to remember that regardless of culture or country, people want to be safe and to be treated with respect.  The hopes and dreams you have for your children are the same ones they have for theirs.

What does the refugee community need to know about Lincoln? 

Lincoln has many opportunities for refugee families and many people willing to help.

If you offer refugees new to Lincoln only one piece of advice, what would it be?

Ask for what you need, be it translation, transportation, education or assistance.  The answer may be no, but you will seldom get what you never ask for!

Community

Omaha plans for Syrians at preliminary stage

By Bailey Neel The tragedy and turmoil has been broadcast around the globe. Millions of Syrians have fled their country because civil war has created an uninhabitable place of violence and danger. More than a third of the population has abandoned the country in hopes of finding something better beyond the borders. Unfortunately for these […]

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

By Chasity Blair Where do I come from? Where did my family members come from? The answer: Scottish, English, Indian and Irish, according to my mom. Unfortunately, there are no records that prove this to be true. These vague unproven answers fuel more questions. I don’t know the names of my family members who immigrated […]

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

Arriving with a physics degree, he starts over

By Rhett Muller When Faris Pirali first started college at the University of Mosul in Iraq, he would have never guessed he would be starting completely over 13 years later in Lincoln, Nebraska. After graduating high school, Pirali began his college career in January 2003, majoring in physics. After one year he decided to leave […]

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Work

Pastor works to help diverse communities

By Jeff Renken Father Vitalis Anyanike speaks quietly sitting behind the cluttered desk in the small office at the Holy Name Church’s rectory. Diplomas on one wall face a photo of his former Nigerian home on the other. It’s warm for a November morning in Omaha, yet Vitalis wears a wool top coat. He emigrated […]

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Work

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Community

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Admin Login | 402-472-3034 | Contact Us | About Us | Site by Ebbeka Design

Our Partners