If you are not redirected automatically, follow the link to Mosaic Mosaic Q&A: Sandy Wacker — Mosaic

Mosaic Q&A: Sandy Wacker

Posted on November 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Sandy Wacker gets to know the families who apply at Habitat for Humanity on a personal level. / Courtesy photo

Sandy Wacker is family support coordinator for Lincoln/Lancaster Habitat for Humanity at 144 N. 19th St, Lincoln, NE 68503. She has worked in this position — Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays — since February 2010. She can be reached at (402) 477-9184, or at swacker @lincolnhabitat.org.

Q. How do you help refugees?

A. I work with families who are interested in learning more about Habitat and if they qualify to apply for a home through our program. I set up one-on-one pre-screening appointments with families who meet our financial and residence criteria and work with families who need help to clean up their credit scores, apply for residency or suggest changes they can make to qualify to apply for our program.

Q. What is the most common question you get from refugees? (And how do you answer it?)

A. I want to own my own home where my children have a yard to play in and we can grow as a family — can you help us with that? We can help some families with home ownership — our focus is on families who have housing needs in our community yet have enough income to pay back a no interest home loan.

Q. What is the most difficult part of your work?

A. Many more families apply than we have funds to build for. I get to know the families who apply on a personal level and would like to see many more as homeowners, but it is just not possible. Communication can also be difficult, especially when working long term with families who are accepted into our program. We ask that they provide someone to interpret for them at meetings and for required first-time homeowner classes.

Q. What does the wider community of Lincoln need to know about refugees?

A. That most have had a long, hard struggle to get to the U.S. and start over. Many of the families I meet with had good jobs in their homeland but their experience and education does not count in their new country so they must look for work where they can. They are learning to live in a culture that is different from what they knew — be patient and get to know them as individuals. You will learn as much from them as they will from you.

Q. What does the refugee community need to know about Lincoln?

A. When I ask a family what brought them to Lincoln or why they stay — I am told how nice the people are here. That it is a city that is comfortable to live in with little crime and a good place to raise children. I hope all people who come to Lincoln can reach this point. There are services and people to help you if you seek it.

Q. If you could offer refugees new to Lincoln only one piece of advice, what would it be?

A. Lean on others to get help when you need it but work hard towards your goals and help others you can, along the way.

Community

Omaha plans for Syrians at preliminary stage

By Bailey Neel The tragedy and turmoil has been broadcast around the globe. Millions of Syrians have fled their country because civil war has created an uninhabitable place of violence and danger. More than a third of the population has abandoned the country in hopes of finding something better beyond the borders. Unfortunately for these […]

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

By Chasity Blair Where do I come from? Where did my family members come from? The answer: Scottish, English, Indian and Irish, according to my mom. Unfortunately, there are no records that prove this to be true. These vague unproven answers fuel more questions. I don’t know the names of my family members who immigrated […]

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

Arriving with a physics degree, he starts over

By Rhett Muller When Faris Pirali first started college at the University of Mosul in Iraq, he would have never guessed he would be starting completely over 13 years later in Lincoln, Nebraska. After graduating high school, Pirali began his college career in January 2003, majoring in physics. After one year he decided to leave […]

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Work

Pastor works to help diverse communities

By Jeff Renken Father Vitalis Anyanike speaks quietly sitting behind the cluttered desk in the small office at the Holy Name Church’s rectory. Diplomas on one wall face a photo of his former Nigerian home on the other. It’s warm for a November morning in Omaha, yet Vitalis wears a wool top coat. He emigrated […]

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Work

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Community

December 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Contributors

Search continues for family history

October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Our Stories

December 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Admin Login | 402-472-3034 | Contact Us | About Us | Site by Ebbeka Design

Our Partners